Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Book That I Love!

I'm kind of behind the times when it comes to reading books. I don't read much because I'm not sure what kind of books I like and honestly, since high school it has not been enjoyable. I have many people around me who read all of the time and talk about the latest book that they just finished. I obviously cannot join in on the conversation. But lately I have been wanting to read a particular book that is a fairly easy read. It has been out for a few years now and so many people I know have read it. It is one that our IMPACT teams have read during their months of training before the trip. So, I knew that we had a copy of it at home and I started reading it a few days ago. It is, The Barbarian Way, by Erwin McManus. The preface of the book is living a life that is fully surrendered to Jesus Christ no matter what the cost. Let me repeat: A life fully surrendered to Jesus Christ NO MATTER WHAT THE COST. It is having a faith that is undomesticated, raw, and dangerous. I'm half-way through the book and I must say that is a life changing book. I have been under numerous teachings and have had conversations based on what this book talks about. I want to share what some thoughts from Erwin that have made me think based on what I have read so far.


Erwin states in the beginning of the book this statement, "Perhaps the tragedy of our time is that such an overwhelming number of us declare Jesus as Lord have become domesticated - or, if you will, civilized. We have lost the simplicity of our early faith. Beyond that, we have lost the passion and power of that raw, untamed, and primal faith." I was thinking back to what a child's faith is like. Jesus tells us to have faith like a child. A child is so simple. They just believe that their needs will be met and that they will be taken care of. I wonder if they worry, fret, panic, or stress out? I doubt it! I want the faith of a child. If I let my flesh take over, I will struggle to have a child like faith but if I let Jesus take over, I believe that my faith will have passion and power.


He goes on to explain what a person that chooses to be a barbarian looks like. "The barbarian way is about love, intimacy, passion, and sacrifice. Barbarians love to live and live to love. For them God is life, and their mission is to reconnect humanity to Him. Their passion is that each of us might live in intimate communion with Him who died for us...Barbarians are guided by the wind of God and ignited by the fire of God." This kind of life seems so easy to live out. Hang out with people and love them. How hard can that be? I think that is the easy part. There always seems to be something hard about sharing Jesus with people that you have begun to have a relationship with. You begin to wonder what they might think of you. Will you be persecuted? Will you be made fun of? Will you be rejected? All of those could very easily happen. Those are the risks that we all must take when living the barbarian way. If our lives reflect Jesus the way that Jesus meant for it to, then I think that people would want to know the Jesus that we talk about. They would want to have that intimacy with Christ. I want to live a life that is contagious that people can see that I love Jesus.

It's easy calling ourselves Christians. Everyone is a Christian. Being a barbarian is not what everyone is. Being a barbarian is following Christ not matter what the cost. Jesus' orginal call was so simple, clean, and clear: "Follow me." I done being a Christian, I am a follower of Jesus Christ.

1 comment:

Heather Everingham said...

I must say Rach, I really enjoy reading about your life and what you are doing. You have a lot of insight on your book I'd love to comment about it all here, but I think it would take up to much space... I will say though as good as it may be sometimes I agree...I hate reading too! :)